Please read the following information carefully.
The number of participants is limited because the courses are very interactive, and therefore the participants will be selected on a "first come, first served" basis. This is standard procedure for scientific workshops with a limited number of participants.
Who may attend a course?
These courses are not only for undergraduate or PhD students. Anyone who is interested in learning is welcome. We welcome participants from outside the VBC as well.
Please always read the description of the course before applying. There can be pre-requisites such as familiarity with a given technique or application. If you do not fulfil those criteria then please do not apply as you would not be able to profit from the training and only would take somebody else's place.
- Upcoming courses are announced via e-mail including approximate time, topics and an estimated participation fee. Those who are interested should register online. We send an automated reply acknowledging but not yet confirming registration.
- All potential participants aged 18 or over are responsible for obtaining permission from their supervisors to attend the course. Minors may attend the trainings only with parental guidance.
- If there is sufficient interest, the registration of the participants is confirmed by a second e-mail. Registration involves a commitment to attend.
- Participants are accepted on a "first come, first served" basis. Once all places are assigned, registration will be closed. Please note: you may register only yourself! Registrations on behalf of colleagues will not be considered.
- The accepted participants are notified. If an accepted participant cannot attend the course, then a new participant will be selected from the rest of potential participants.
- Those colleagues who could not register will be kept on the "potential participants" list. If there is sufficient interest then a second course will be held and the remaining potential participants will again "compete" for the places until everyone could be trained.
Not showing up
IMPORTANT: If you register for a course and then do not attend without a good reason (serious illness, family tragedies etc.), your PI will be charged a penalty.
Some unacceptable excuses
Here are some actual excuses offered over the years by people who did not show up. Note that this is not an exhaustive list, unfortunately:
- "I forgot that I am attending a conference on the same day"
- "Suddenly we had a lab meeting and I have to present"
- "I signed up and then changed my mind"
- "I had an operation" (but I was seen in the cafeteria on the same day...)
If we are forced to cancel a course (e.g. due to illness of the instructor etc.) then we will try our best to hold the course at a later date. Your registration will be valid for the replacement course.
Download a map showing how to get to the VBCF Seminar room.